How to Apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides money for food through an Electronic Benefits Transfer Card that you can use at food stores like a debit card. In Michigan, the SNAP card is called a “Bridge Card.”


  • Print a paper application online, fill it out, and return it in person to the nearest Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) office by fax or by mail.  The nearest office to MSU is the Ingham County Health Department, which is located at 5303 S. Cedar Street, Lansing, MI 48911. CATA transportation services have a route from MSU campus. See the map to plan the trip.


  • Sign up using mRelief, an easy-to-use platform on web, text messaging and voice for families to find out if they qualify and enroll in food stamps. To participate text "Food" to 74544.

Note: Many MDHHS offices are not operating in-person due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so filling out an online application may be the best option. An online application is also the fastest and easiest way to apply for benefits

After submitting an application:

  • Within 30 days of submitting an application, the applicant will be contacted to complete an in-person or telephone interview with a caseworker. 
  • After the interview, the applicant will receive notification of approval for benefits.
  • With approval, the applicant will receive an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card in the mail. 


Applicants may be asked to provide documents to verify the information on their application. These documents provide proof of identity, residence, income, and other expenses.  Below are some examples of  documents that may be requested during the application process.  

Proof of Identity

Driver’s license, photo ID, passport, adoption record, or birth certificate

Social Security Number (SSN)

Copy of your social security card, proof you are applying for a social security card, or a photo ID with a birth date

Proof of Current Residence

Copy of current lease, letter from landlord verifying residence, mortgage records, or voter  registration card (if registered to vote where you live)

Proof of Citizenship

U.S. passport, birth certificate, green card, or naturalization certificate

Proof of Income

Most recent pay stubs, letter from your employer that verifies wage and hours worked, proof of self-employment income, any pension income statements, any child support income check stubs, and/ or any unemployment documentation

Financial Resources

Bank statements for any bank accounts in your name (savings, checking, etc.), and proof of any bonds or stocks in your name


Some documents may serve as verification for several categories. For example, a U.S. passport can provide proof of both identity and U.S. citizenship, or a lease statement can provide proof of both residence and many living expenses. 

For identity, place of residence, citizenship, and Social Security number, only one of the options may be needed to verify the information. For expense and income, at least one document or proof may be needed for each different kind of income or expense.