The MSU Student Food Bank is intended to provide supplemental food and other necessities for students and their families who are in need of this type of support.
The MSU Student Food Bank was founded in 1993 by a group of students and MSU staff. The Student Food Bank was the first campus-based food assistance program in the country. Our founders recognized that some MSU students faced food insecurity on a regular basis and needed food assistance so they could focus on their studies, families, and work. The MSU Food Student Food Bank has been serving students ever since. We remain an MSU registered student organization (RSO) and continue to operate on our credo of "Students Helping Students."
Notes of Interest:
- The MSU Student Food Bank was the first food bank in the nation that was and is run by students, for students
- The MSU Student Food Band has assisted MSU students in need since 1993
- The MSU Student Food Bank is a member of the Greater Lansing Food Bank this allows us to purchase food at a significantly reduced price, averaging $0.34 per pound. This saves us 70% compared to the national wholesale cost of food.
- The MSU Student Food Bank operates on charitable donations received from community members and organizations
- The MSU Student Food Bank provides volunteer leadership opportunities for over 200 students each year
- The MSU Student Food Bank serves over 4,000 clients per year
- The MSU Student Food Bank distributes about 99,000 pounds of food annually to MSU students and their families